Sunday, February 9, 2014

Mini Maxi Skirt

Hi all,

Sorry for the long delay in posting lately.  In December I had to work overtime every single day, including Saturdays and Sundays (except for Christmas).  In January, I spent the month looking for a new place to live and then moving.  Now it is February and I have a little more time.  It doesn't hurt that it is snowing and I am stuck inside.  I know that in most states a little snow doesn't hold people back from continuing their business, but here in Portland, Oregon if it snows then the whole place shuts down :-) 

I saw this diamond pattern and knew that I wanted to make it into a skirt, but it is a very open pattern and since I didn't want to have to sew in a lining I decided to make a skirt similar to a skirt I wanted as a teenager in the 80's.  Something like the picture on the left. 




MATERIALS:

Size 10 thread in aqua
Size 6 (1.8 mm) steel hook
One sew in snap

DIRECTIONS:

Underskirt:  You can add rows if desired to make underskirt longer.

Row 1:  Beginning at hips with aqua, ch 41, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch across, turn.   (40 sts)

Row 2:  Ch 1, sc in BACK LOOP of each st across, turn.  (40 sts)

Row 3:  Ch 1, [sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st] across to last st, sc in last st, turn.  (53 sts)

Rows 4-5:  Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn.  (53 sts)

Rounds 6-15:  Ch 1, sc in each st across, join with sl st at the end of each round.  Fasten off at the end of last round.

Overskirt:

Row 1:  Join aqua with sl st in first FRONT LOOP of row 2, ch 3 (counts as first double crochet), (dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same st, *sk next 3 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next st; repeat from * across to last 3 sts, skip next 2 sts, dc in last st, turn.  (10 shells, 1 dc)

Row 2:  Ch 1, sc in first dc, ch 3, dc in next ch 2 sp, * ch 3, skip next 2 dc, sc in sp between last shell and next shell, repeat from * across, ending with last sc in top of turning ch, turn.

Row 3:  Ch 3 (counts as first double crochet), skip next ch 3 loop, (2 dc, ch 2, 2dc) in next dc, *skip next 2 ch 3 loops, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next dc, repeat from * across to last ch 3 loop, skip next ch 3 loop, dc in last sc, join with sl st in top of beg ch 3, turn.

Rounds 4-?:  Repeat rows 2 and 3 but joining into rounds until desired length is achieved.  Fasten off.

NOTE:  I suppose I could have figured out a better way to join these rounds so that there isn't a seam down the back (see second picture) but I didn't.  Just finish each row as instructed and join with a slip st to beginning of row and then turn for next round. 

Finishing:

Sew snap to back opening of skirt.




10 comments:

daisybea said...

Love this skirt! So glad you posted another pattern.

daisybea said...

Your designs are great, and I appreciate you sharing them. Diana :)

MCEA said...

Lovely skirt! Thanks you!!

All how I try; I'm getting 53 sts instead of 55. Please check the sts again.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Daisybea,

Thank you for the appreciation :-)

pinkpowderpuff said...

To MCEA,

Actually the way I had the pattern written would have come to 54 sts (not 55 or 53), but I rewrote it to read more easily and now it comes to 53 sts.

Thanks.....

Anonymous said...

Just for your consideration. What about a bridal gown and maid of honor gown or even a bride's maid dress? For the Month of June?

pinkpowderpuff said...

To anonymous,

I will take that into consideration, but I am REALLY behind on all the other things I have promised for this blog, but I will keep it in mind for someday. Thanks.....

Tess Tortorella said...

This is such a pretty skirt! I am planning to make this with some light purple thread. Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful patterns. I enjoy making them.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I agree with that top, so I think I'll just do something else.

Pallie Spadafino said...

Thank you for all the wonderful patterns you have available. Being that most of them are done in thread is great as that is how I originally learned to crochet back in the 1950's. I see a lot of patterns today out there that are done in WW yarn and it is sad to me as they do not have the shape or style that the thread patterns do.
I notice that you have not posted anything in a while and it is a loss to us all that you no longer have the time to do this. I hope that someday you find the time again as you have a great talent for doing this work.
Again Thank You for all the hard work you put into sharing with those of us who do not have the talent to create our own patterns.