Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Nautical Striped Top

I was talking to a co-worker the other day about needing to do a new outfit for my blog and she suggested that I do a sailor type outfit.  I was going to do that but then I decided I really need navy colored thread to make it look authentic, and since I do not have navy thread I decided to do a nautical themed outfit instead.  Even though this outfit turned out cute I think it would have looked better with navy thread also.  These pieces can be made in any color though and without the buttons you can create a whole different look.  Also, I pulled the top in a lot at the waist because I like my snaps to do my shaping for me when I want to keep a design simple.  If you do not pull the top in as much it will look more like a crop top that is not fitted.


MATERIALS
 
Size 10 thread in blue
Size 10 thread in red
Size 10 thread in white
Size 6 (1.8 mm) steel hook
2 sew on snaps
 
GAUGE
 
See previous posts
 
DIRECTIONS
 
 
Collar:
 
Row 1:  With blue, ch 6, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.  (5 sts)
 
Row 2-50:   Working in BACK LOOPS only, ch 1, sc in each st across, turn.  (5 sts)
 
 
Edging: 
 
Ch 1, sc in end of each row across first long edge of piece (50 sts), sc down first short edge of piece, ch 1, sc in end of each row across second long edge of piece (50 sts).  Fasten off.
 
 
Body:
 
Row 1:  Join red with sc in first st of either long edge of collar, sc in next 7 sts, sk next 8 sts (armhole), sc in next 18 sts, skip next 8 sts (armhole), sc in last 8 sts, turn.  (34 sts)
 
Row 2:  Ch 1, 2 sc in each st across, changing to white in last st, turn.  Do not fasten off red.  (68 sts)
 
Row 3:  Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn.  (68 sts)
 
Row 4:  Ch 1, [sc in next st, sc dec over next 2 sts] across to last 2 sts, sc dec over last 2 sts, changing to red in last st, turn.  Do not fasten off white.  (45 sts)
 
Rows 5-14:  Keeping to pattern, ch 1, sc in each st across, turn.  (45 sts)  Fasten off red and white.
 
Finishing:
 
Sew 2 snaps evenly spaced down back opening.
 
Weave a length of red thread through beg ch from left back to center and weave a second length of red thread through beg ch from right back to center. Pull to gather lightly and tie in a bow.  I found it helpful to tie the ends of thread around a st at the back seam to keep thread from pulling out when gathering. 
 
 
 


1 comment:

Véro said...

thank you for the pattern
I love much this creation
friendships
véro