Monday, April 29, 2013

"Summer Skies" Top and Skirt Set

The best part about this top pattern is that with only a couple of modifications it also becomes the skirt pattern.  You can't get any simpler than that!  These pieces are made working from side to side and instead of using increases or decreases I let the stitches themselves increase where I wanted. In other words I used sc around the waist, hdc where Barbie gets wider and dc where she is the widest.  Also, if your gauge isn't exactly like mine it is very easy to just add (or subtract) rows to alter the width or more chains to get more length.


 
 
MATERIALS
 
 
 Size 10 thread in blue
Size 10 thread in white
Size 6 (1.8 mm) steel hook
3 sew on snaps
 
 
 GAUGE
 
 
 As you can guess by now, I don't bother too much with gauge.  I always use the same size hook and if you find a hook that works with one of my patterns it will work for all my patterns.
 
 
 DIRECTIONS FOR TOP AND SKIRT
 
 
 NOTE:  I will be writing the pattern for both pieces at the same time since they are almost the same pattern.  I will specify any differences for the skirt.
 
 
 Row 1:  With blue, ch 16, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 4 chs, hdc in next 5 chs, dc in last 5 chs, turn.  (15 sts)
 
 
Row 2:  Working in BACK LOOPS only, ch 2 (counts as first dc now and throughout), dc in next 4 sts, hdc in next 5 sts, sc in last 5 sts, turn.  (15 sts)
 
 
 Row 3:  Working in BACK LOOPS only, ch 1, sc in next 5 sts, hdc in next 5 sts, dc in last 5 sts, turn.  (15 sts)
 
 
 FOR TOP ONLY:
 
 
Rows 4-25:  Repeat rows 2 and 3.
 
 
FOR SKIRT ONLY:
 
 
Rows 4-31:  Repeat rows 2 and 3.
 
 
Edging: 
 
 
 Row 1:   Ch 1, 2 sc in end of each row across dc edge--last row worked should position you to be at the dc end of piece--turn.   (50 sts for top, 62 sts for skirt)
 
 
 Row 2:  Ch 1, sc in each st across.  Fasten off top.  For skirt, sc back seam closed leaving enough of an opening to fit skirt on doll, fasten off skirt.  (50 sts for top, 62 sts for skirt)
 
 
 Ruffle:
 
 
 FOR TOP ONLY:  Hold piece right side facing and upside down so ruffle will lay flatter when worked
 
.
 Row 1:  Working in FRONT LOOPS only, join white with sl st in 3rd st in from edge of row 2 of edging (I did this so that there isn't so much ruffle in the way of sewing on a snap later), ch 3 (counts as first tr now and throughout), 2 tr in same st as joining, 3 tr in each st across to last 3 sts leaving rem 3 sts unworked, turn.
 
 
 Row 2:  Ch 3, tr in each st across.  Fasten off.
 
 
 FOR SKIRT ONLY:
 
 
 Round 1:  Join white with sl st in any st at bottom of skirt, ch 3, 2 tr in same st as joining, 3 tr in each st around, join to top of beg ch 3.
 
 
 Round 2:  Ch 3, tr in each st around, join to top of beg ch 3.  Fasten off.
 
 
 Finishing:
 
 
 Sew 2 snaps to top and one snap to opening of skirt. 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 

4 comments:

Joan said...

Thank you for the lovely pattern. My twin granddaughters were admiring your designs last night so I think I will be busy crocheting. I'll be back to visit.

Véro said...

thank you for the pattern
I love this creation
friendships
véro

pinkpowderpuff said...

Joan,

Twin granddaughters? How precious!I am so glad they like my patterns and they are so lucky to have somebody to make the outfits for them.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Vero,

:-)