Sunday, July 1, 2012

White Monster High doll dress

I had a special request this week to convert some of my patterns to fit the Monster High dolls, so this is not a post for an outfit that will fit Barbie.  But I am working on a new outfit for Barbie and I also haven't forgotten all the other things I've planned to do.   They are in progress and will make it to this blog someday!  Here are three of my crocheted outfits converted to fit the Monster High dolls.  It was pretty easy to convert the patterns, but these dolls have an even weirder shape than Barbie! The curve in their back is crazy and their big heads, OH MY!!  Maybe you have nieces or daughters or granddaughters who play with these dolls more than Barbies.  I don't know what's popular these days as my daughter is 17 and I don't keep up with the trends.  So if you would like to see more conversions just let me know.




White Dress

Materials

Size 10 thread in white
2 small snaps
Size 6 (1.8 mm) steel hook

Gauge

I didn't bother with trying to find gauge because I am using the same hook size I use for all my designs and if you have found a hook that gets you good results with my designs then stick to that hook.

Directions

V-Stitch=  (dc, ch 1, dc) in st indicated.

Row 1:  Starting at top band with white, ch 6, sc in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.  (5 sts)

Row 2:  Working in BACK LOOPS only, sc in each st across, turn.  (5 sts)

Rows 3-?:  Repeat for 2 until piece measures 3 1/2". 

Edging: 

Ch 1, 28 sc evenly spaced across first long edge, ch 1, sc in each st across first short edge, ch 1, 28 sc evenly spaced across second long edge, ch 1, turn.

Row 1:  Ch 1, [sk first (next) st, sc in next st, sk next st, v-st in next st], across, turn.  (7 sc, 7 v-sts)

Row 2:  Ch 1, [sc in first (next) ch 1 sp of v-st, v-st in next sc] across, turn.  (7 sc, 7 v-sts)

Rows 3-6:  Repeat row 2.

Round 7:  Ch 1, sc in first ch 1 sp, v-st in next sc, (sc, v-st, sc) in next ch 1 sp, v-st in next sc, sc in next ch 1 sp, v-st in next sc, (sc, v-st, sc) in next ch 1 sp, v-st in next sc, sc in next ch 1 sp, v-st in next sc, (sc, v-st, sc) in next ch 1 sp, v-st in next sc, sc in next ch 1 sp, v-st in next sc, join to first sc, turn to keep to pattern.  (10 sc, 10 v-sts)

Rounds 8-?:  Repeat round 7 until piece measures 3 3/4", making sure to end on WS (or side you like least).

Last round:  Ch 1, sc in ea sc, 2 sc in each ch 1 sp of v-st, around, DO NOT TURN FROM NOW ON.

Ruffle section:

Round 1:  Working in FRONT LOOPS only, [sl st, ch 2] in each st around, join.

Round 2:  Working in BACK LOOPS of previous round, st st in first BL, ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in each BL around, join to top FL of beg ch 4.

Round 3:  Ch 2, working in FRONT LOOPS only, [sl st, ch 2] in each st around, join to first sl st.

Round 4:  Working in BACK LOOPS of previous round, sl st in first BL, ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in same st, 2 dc in each st around, join to top of first ch 4.  Fasten off.

Finishing

Sew 2 small snaps to back opening.

10 comments:

glorm said...

She's scary looking to me. The little girls like her? Hmmm.

Eventually people will be asking: "Who's Barbie?"

pinkpowderpuff said...

I know, sad isn't it?

MCEA said...

@ pinkpowderpuff

Take a bow. You are truly an amazing person. You make wishes come true!

I love Barbie and will continue to do so.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Wow!! Thank you MCEA, that is a great compliment. I appreciate it :-)

Sketchy said...

My little sister is in love with MH, so these conversions are great (she turns 9 on Oct. 1). Thank you! I'll be posting results on Ravelry- again, thanks so much. :)

Melanie said...

Thanks for this...my daughter got into the MH phase thanks to her classmates, and it will be fun to put her doll in something a little more "lady like" for a change.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Melanie,

I know right? I wish we could go back to the good old days when fashion dolls were more covered up and classy!

Anonymous said...

It's a real shame that I can't seem to find any other free Monster High patterns. Out of the three you have converted for Monster High, I only like this one. I think the other two are better for Barbie. Can you convert some of your other patterns?

pinkpowderpuff said...

To anonymous, I would be happy to convert some more patterns for the Monster High dolls, but it will be some time before I can get to that as I have made promises to convert some patterns to fit Skipper and Chelsea first. Let me know which patterns you would like to see converted though for when I can get around to it. Thanks....

goth-is-not-emo said...

Thank you so much! Between this, and the leggings I'm making my dolls out of stretch Lycra, I can have monster dolls that look cool AND don't show off their textured undies every time they sit down! Let's face it--every fashion doll needs a nice dress that covers a teensy bit more than those doll mini-skirts. I love the "monster" idea of MH, but the lack of pants and decently-long skirts drives me batty. (Thank goodness their recent "I <3 Fashion" dolls came with PANTS and TIGHTS!)