Saturday, July 7, 2012

Electric blue wrap dress

My daughter has recently gotten into dying yarn/thread and she dyed me up a pretty blue ball of thread and a pretty pink ball of thread.  This design is what I decided to use them on.  I would have to say that this is my second easiest design to make.  There is minimal ends to weave in and minimal sewing and the shaping is super simple :-)  So you should be able to whip out this dress in an evening or so.



Wow!  My camera's date is WAY off...lol


Materials

Size 10 thread in blue
Size 10 thread in pink
Size 6 (1.8 mm)  steel hook
2 sew on snaps

Gauge

10 sc = 1 inch, 10 sc rows = 1 inch

Directions


Note:

Dress is worked in BACK LOOPS only for body of dress.  Pink ruffle and edgings excluded.


Row 1:  With blue, ch 4, sc in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.  (3 sts)

Rows 2-19:  Ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc across row to last st, 2 sc in last st, turn.  (You will have 39 sts by the end of row 19)

Row 20:  Ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc across row to last st, 2 sc in last st, ch 11, turn.  (41 sts and 11 chs)

Row 21:  Sc in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook and in next 9 chs, sc across row to last st, 2 sc in last st, turn.  (52 sts)

Row 22:  Ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc across row, turn.  (53 sts)

Row 23:  Ch 1, sc across row to last st, 2 sc in last st, turn.  (54 sts)

Rows 24-25:  Repeat rows 22 and 23 once more.  (You will have 56 sts by end of row 26)

Row 26:   Ch 1, sc in next 41 sts, turn.  (41 sts)

Rows 27-43:  Repeat row 26.  (41 sts)

Row 44:  Ch 1, sc across to end of row, ch 16, turn.  (41 sts, and 16 chs)

Row 45:  Sc in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook and in next 14 chs, sc across row to last 2 sts, sc dec over last 2 sts, turn.  (55 sts)

Row 46:  Ch 1, sc dec over first 2 sts, sc across row, turn.  (54 sts)

Row 47:  Ch 1, sc across row to last 2 sts, sc dec over last 2 sts, turn.  (53 sts)

Rows 48-49:  Repeat rows 46 and 47.  (You will have 51 sts at end of row 49)

Row 50:  Ch 1, sc dec over first 2 sts, sc in next 37 sts, sc dec over next 2 st, turn.  (39 sts)

Rows 51-68:  Ch 1, sc dec over first 2 sts, sc across row to last 2 sts, sc dec over last 2 sts, turn.  DO NOT fasten off at end of last row.  (You will have 3 sts at end of row 68) 

Edging: 

Ch 1, sc in end of each row and in each st until you come to back (rows 26-43), sc dec ends of 2 rows together across back (this will make for a better fit), sc in end of each row and in each st all the way around rest of dress, join to beg sc.  Fasten off.

Shoulder seams:

Find center st of back and sew left shoulder strap to left of center st and sew right shoulder strap to right of center st.

Pink edging and ruffle: 

Starting at center st of back between shoulders, join pink with sc, sc in each st down to bottom edge of dress, ch 4 (counts as first tr), tr in next st, 2 tr in each st across bottom edge of dress, sc in each st back to beg sc, join to beg sc, fasten off.

Armholes:

Join pink with sc in any st, sc around armhole, join to beg sc.  Fasten off.

Finishing: 

Sew snap to where end of wrap meets side of dress.  Sew another snap on inside of dress where end of wrap meet side of dress.




21 comments:

Joan said...

Thank you for sharing the cute pattern. I always look forward to your postings.

pinkpowderpuff said...

You are welcome, Joan :-)

glorm said...

This is my favorite outfit so far. It's beautiful. Thank you.

Kristie Edmond said...

I am confused At rows 24-26. It goes from 54 stitches to 41 stitches. Can someone please help me. I love your patterns thank you for you hard work in putting them up for people to use. :-)

pinkpowderpuff said...

Hi Kristie, I do put hard work into my patterns, but I sure am lazy about writing the pattern down clearly as I go along...lol. I see where I went wrong and am fixing it right now. Thanks for letting me know about this error. I will have corrected pattern up in a few minutes.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Ok, pattern should be fixed now. Maybe I should NOT be trying to write my patterns shorthand as I go and waiting until later to figure out how I did it....lol

Kristie Edmond said...

Thank you makes sense now. :-)

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you glorm and you're welcome :-)

Anonymous said...

row 44 the chain 16 seems to be on wrong end need help

pinkpowderpuff said...

I double checked and according to my chart the ch 16 is on the correct end. Maybe you added an extra row or stopped a row early. I would just finish the row you're on and then turn and work row 44 from there. It will not make a descernible difference. Hope this helps :-)

Anonymous said...

thank you so much the patterns areso lovely you are so talented

Anonymous said...

I talked to you the other day about the wrap dress finished it it is pretty pretty thank you I wonder if you could help with lining a barbie dress i made a shell stitch dress but it needs a lining I do not have a clue what to do

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you, I am glad the dress turned out nice. As for lining a dress, I've never actually had to do that. I usually crochet an underskirt if it is needed, so I can't help you too much in that department. Sorry.

Unknown said...

pinkpowderpuff, I just finished the chocolate dress for monsterhigh dolls. It turned out just wonderful! Thank you again for the patterns.
Monster High Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Was the pattern corrected? I still see 41 stirches at row 26

pinkpowderpuff said...

Anonymous,
Yes the pattern is corrected. The reason the pattern goes from 56 sts to 41 sts is because you only work in the FIRST 41 out of 56 sts. This becomes the back section. You will later go back up in amount of sts to form the second shoulder section. The shoulder/sleeve sections will be sewn to this back section later to form the shoulder/sleeves. Hope this clears up any confusion. Next time I will take pics of works in progress and from back so you can more clearly see what I was doing. Thanks.

pinkpowderpuff said...

To unknown,
I am happy that you are happy with the monster high doll outfits. Glad I could help. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I had trouble with this outfit. I crocheted in back loops, as instructed, but it did not rib. But while I was working on another dress I figured out that I needed to make my stitches in what I was always taught were front loops.

pinkpowderpuff said...

I've never worked in the front loops to get the rib pattern, but I've always thought if one were to work every row in the front loop it would rib just like working every row in the back loop. I guess this is not the case. At any rate, I am glad you figured it out!

simon said...

I just found your post and I love it. Thanks so much for sharing.

Rocio Garcia said...

I love that dress. It's very original and amazing! I made it for my Barbie and looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing