Sunday, May 20, 2012

Red, white and blue skirt


And here is the skirt that goes with the top.  I am working on some red shorts that will go with the bikini top and the red and white top, and a beach towel and tote that will go with the shorts or bikini, but those patterns will not be posted until next weekend. 



Gauge

10 sc = 1 inch, 10 sc rows = 1 inch

Materials

Size 10 thread in red
Size 10 thread in white
Size 10 thread in blue
Size 6 (1.8 mm) steel hook
1 sew on snap
2 or 3 mm rhinestones, approximately 125
Jewel glue

Notes:

 1.  The first 3 or 4 rows of this skirt are a little confusing at first and a little difficult to execute, but it get much easier after that.  I recommend using different colored st markers to mark row 2a and 2b so you can tell which is which.  Rows 1-3 are making pleats and each pleat makes an S shape by turning your work back and forth.  Row 4 is a little hard to sc around all the S shapes but it gets easier by row 5.

2.   For rows 8-12 I fasten each row off, but you can carry threads if you like.

Directions


Row 1:  Starting at waist with white, ch 45, sc in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.  (44 sts)

Row 2a:  Working in FRONT LOOPS, ch 1, sc in each st across, turn.  (44 sts)

Row 2b:  Working in BACK LOOPS of row 1, sc in each st across, turn.  (44 sts)

Row 3:  Ch 1, sc in first st of row 2a and 2b at the same time, sc in next st of row 2a and 2b at the same time, *sc in front lp of each of next 4 sts on row 2a, TURN, working in unworked lps of 2a and back lps of 2b at same time, sc in each of next 4 sts, TURN, working rem lps of row 2b, sc in each of next 4 sts, [sc in next st of row 2a and 2b at same time] twice, rep from * across, turn. (I do not know how many sts this is at this time and I didn't care to count)

Row 4:  Ch 1, sc in first st, [sc in front lp of next st, sc in back lp of next st] across to last st, sc in both lps of last st, turn.

Rows 5-7:  Ch 2 (counts as first hdc), [hdc in front lp of next st, hdc in back lp of next st] across, turn.  Fasten off at end of row 7.

Round 8:  Join red with sl st, ch 2 (counts as first dc now and thru row 12), [dc in front lp of next st, dc in back lp of next st] around, join to top of beg ch 2.  Fasten off.

Round 9:  Join white with sl st, ch 2, [dc in front lp of next st, dc in back lp of next st] around, join to top of beg ch 2.  Fasten off.

Rounds 10-12:  Repeat rows 8 and 9 and then row 8 once more. 

Round 13:  Join blue with sl st, ch 2 (counts as first hdc now and for the rest of skirt), [hdc in front lp of next st, hdc in back lp of next st] around, join to top of beg ch 2.

Rounds 14-17:  Ch 2, [hdc in front lp of next st, hdc in back lp of next st] around, join to top of beg ch 2.  Fasten off at the end of round 17.

Finishing

1.  Sew snap to back opening of skirt.

2.  Glue rhinestone in desired pattern on blue part of skirt.

15 comments:

glorm said...

Thank you for posting these directions. Out of curiosity, do you ever work with yarn (of any size)?

pinkpowderpuff said...

Glorm, as a matter of fact I do work with many sizes of yarn and make many different projects with different weights. I just do not design anything other than Barbie clothes because that's what I love.

glorm said...

I didn't make myself clear: I meant using yarn for the Barbie clothes, but you gave me my answer anyway. Crochet thread does make the best looking clothes, especially pink. LOL

pinkpowderpuff said...

OH!! lol...I might use some fingering weight sometime for my Barbie clothes, but anything bigger than that just looks too bulky and ugly in my opinion.

Unknown said...

Your patterns are simple lovely and delightful to work with. Would you consider designing for the new Monster High dolls?

pinkpowderpuff said...

Unknown, Thank you, but I probably won't be designing for the Monster High dolls. I'm not sure if I even know what those dolls are...lol

Chela said...

I love your patterns! The last set is so perfect for this comming 4th!

Thank you so much for sharing them
Hugs!

FrootyLoops1209 said...

pinkpowderpuff,
BTW, a Moster High Doll is a doll that is a monster that goes to Monster High. I don't like them, but apparently Unknown does.
\.) FrootyLoops1209
/.)

pinkpowderpuff said...

I looked up a picture of the monster high dolls, but I like the classics (Barbie), so I think I will just stick to making clothes for her for now.

Unknown said...

I also love classic Barbie, and I agree that the Monster High Dolls are not appealing to every one. I have some of both and my only niece has quite a few, it is often hard to fined reasonable priced clothes. Some Barbie crochet patterns adjust fairly easily but they use 4 ply yarns so just changing the type of yarn used to make up the patterns. Unfortunately the best web site I was using is no longer up so I am searching for other patterns. Sorry for the lengthy post but I like the style your patterns make up and was curious if you would design some. That is all. Your patterns are beautiful continue to be inspired.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you Unknown, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to do up a couple of outfits if you would give me an idea of what you would like. Also, I have to go find an actual Monster High doll. I haven't seen any, but then again I haven't really looked. Let me know, especially if you would just like me to convert some patterns I've already written, I could do that pretty easily.....

Unknown said...

Thank you,pinkpowderpuff. Most of the clothes that they have show more skin than they cover. If you could convert your lovely chocolate outfit I think that it would look nice on Clawdeen, the werewolf monster. I got my Monster High Dolls from Amazon, Toys'R'Us, and Wal-mart. I steer clear of ebay, the skalpers are crazy.
Again, thank you for thinking about and offering to do this for me.

Maria said...

Hi,you have a very nice blog and i love your patterns. Thanks for sharing.I am your new follower.My next crochet project will be a Barbiedress.
Hugs
Maria
p.s Happy 4th of July

pinkpowderpuff said...

To unknown,
I borrowed a monster high doll from my neice and will be working to convert the chocolate outfit for you. Give me a few days and I will let you know when I am done.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you Maria, I am glad you are enjoying my blog. I don't post as often as I should but I should be getting something new out soon!! Thanks for following....