Saturday, May 19, 2012

Red and white top

And here is the top as promised.  I will post the skirt tomorrow. 





Gauge

10 sc = 1 inch, 10 sc rows = 1 inch

Materials

Size 10 thread in white
Size 10 thread in red
Size 6 (1.8 mm) steel hook
3 sew on snaps
small length of 1/4th" red ribbon
fabric glue

Notes:

1.  The easiest way I found to sc evenly along a piece is to fold it in half and mark with a stitch marker, then fold the half in half again and mark the quarter sections with a stitch marker. Take the amount of stitches needed and divide by 4. Then make sure to crochet that amount in between each stitch marker.

2.  Anytime I say RS facing, I mean whichever side you like (or looks) best.

3.  I am using a new technique of the regular sc, hdc, and dc in this set.  You alternate working in the back loops and front loops.  It keeps a plain piece of sc's from looking too plain.  Also, I wasn't strict when writing out the pattern to keep to the FL/BL pattern.  If the pattern calls to work the BL in the final st of the row, but it turns out you work it in the FL it's no big deal.  Sometimes, I think I got off because I lost track, but I just kept going and it still looked fine.


4.  HDC next 2 sts tog = (yo, insert hook in st indicated, yo, pull up loop) 2 times, yo, pull through all 3 loops on hook

Directions

Row 1:  Starting at bust with white, ch 8, sc in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.  (7 sts)

Row 2:  Ch 1, sc in BACK LOOPS of each st across, turn.  (7 sts)

Rows 3-?:  Repeat row 2 until piece measures 5" long.  DO NOT fasten off.

Edging

Ch 1, 44 sc evenly spaced across first long edge, ch 1, sc in 7 sts across first short edge, ch 1, 44 sc evenly spaced along 2nd long edge, ch 1, sc in 7 sts across 2nd short edge, join.  Fasten off.

Red edging

Holding piece with RS facing, join red with sc in first st of either short edge, sc in next 6 sts, ch 1, sl st in first st of long edge, [ch 2, sl st in next st] across to last st, ch 1, sc in 7 sts across 2nd short edge, ch 1, sc in FRONT LOOP of first st of 2nd long edge, sc in BACK LOOP of next st, [sc in FL of next st, sc in BL of next st] across, join to beg st, turn.

Row 1:  Ch 1, [sc in FL of next st, sc in BL of next st] across, turn.  (44 sts)

Row 2:  Repeat row 2.  Fasten off.

Row 3:  With RS facing, join white with sl st in first st of row 2, ch 2 (counts as first hdc now and throughout), [hdc in FL of next st, hdc in BL of next st] across, turn.  (44 sts)

Row 4:  Ch 2, hdc in FL of next st, [hdc in BL of next st, hdc in FL of next st] twice, hdc next 2 sts tog, [(hdc in BL of next st, hdc in FL of next st) 3 times, hdc next 2 sts tog] 4 times, [hdc in BL of next st, hdc in FL of next st] 2 times, turn.  (39 sts). 

Rows 5-6:  Ch 2, [hdc in FL of next st, hdc in BL of next st] across, turn.  (39 sts)

Row 7:  Ch 2, [(hdc in FL of next st, hdc in BL of next st) 4 times, 2 hdc in FL of next st, 2 hdc in BL of next st] 3 times, [hdc in FL of next st, hdc in BL of next st] 4 times.  Fasten off.  (45 sts)

Bottom red edging

With RS facing, join red with sl st in first st of row 7, [ch 2, sl st in next st] across.  Fasten off.

Finishing

1.  Sew 3 snaps evenly spaced down back opening of top.

2.  For straps, glue red ribbon in place.




3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oooh...I love this! I'm going to have to print this off for my mom so she can make it for me! LOL :P

♥ Elizabeth

pinkpowderpuff said...

Hi Elizabeth, you share the same name as my daughter :-) I am glad you like my designs. You are lucky to have a mom to crochet them for you, although you could learn to crochet. My daughter started when she was 10 and now at 17 can crochet and knit almost better than me...lol

FrootyLoops1209 said...

I really want to make this, but I don't have the right string. can you send me a picture of how thin the yarn is?
\.) FrootyLoops1209
/.)