Sunday, March 4, 2012

Striped Sherbet Sundress

I almost called this piece "Easy Peezy Lemon Squeezy" sundress;  partly because of it's lemony yellow color, but mostly because it is an easy design that works up pretty quickly.  This dress is mostly worked in one piece (with the ruffle added on) and it has very little shaping.  I was able to use three colors pretty simply by carrying thread along sides of piece and then working over the thread when working the edging.  I think it turned out really pretty for being such a simple design :-)





Materials

Size 10 thread pink (Color A)
Size 10 thread in green (Color B)
Size 10 thread in yellow (Color C)
Size 6 (1.8 mm) steel hook
2 sew on snaps


Gauge

10 sc = one inch, 10 sc rows = one inch


Directions

NOTE:  Carry thread along sides until specified to cut or fasten off.

SKIRT PART OF DRESS:

Row 1:  With pink (color A), ch 35, sc in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook and in back ridge of each ch across, changing to green (color B) in last st, turn.  (34 sts)

Row 2:  Ch 1, sc in BACK LOOPS ONLY of each st across, changing to yellow (color C) in last st, turn.  (34 sts)

Rows 3-20:  Ch 1, sc in BACK LOOPS ONLY of each st across, changing color to follow color sequence in last st, turn.  (34 sts)

Row 21:  Ch 1, working in BACK LOOPS ONLY, 2 sc in first st, sc in remaining sts across, turn.  (35 sts)

Row 22:  Ch 1, sc in BACK LOOPS ONLY of each st across, turn.  (35 sts)

Rows 23-26:  Repeat rows 21 & 22 twice more.  (37 sts at end of last row)

Row 27:  Ch 1, working in BACK LOOPS ONLY, sc dec over first 2 sts, sc in remaining sts across, turn. (36 sts)

Row 28:  Ch 1, sc in BACK LOOPS ONLY of each st across, turn.  (36 sts)

Rows 29-32:  Repeat rows 27 & 28 twice more, turn.   (34 sts at end of last row)


Row 33:  Ch 1, sc in BACK LOOPS ONLY of each st across, turn.  (34 sts)

Rows 34-51:  Repeat row 33.  Row 51 should end at bottom (non-pointed side) of skirt with yellow (color C).   FASTEN OFF PINK AND GREEN. 

EDGING: 

Note:  Remember to cover (work over) carried thread while working the edging.


Still working with yellow, ch 1, sc in end of each row of non-pointed edge of skirt, now holding wrong sides of skirt tog, carefully matching sts, sc first 25 sts of back seam tog, now working only in row 1 (pink side of back opening), sl st in next 9 sts (back opening).  Do not fasten off.

TOP PART OF DRESS:

Row 1:  Ch 1, sc in end of each row along top of dress, working 3 sc in center point in front (row 26), turn.  (53 sts)

Row 2:  Ch 1, sc in first 2 sts, [sc dec over next 2 sts, sc in next 2 sts] 6 times, 3 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts, [sc dec over next 2 sts, sc in next 2 sts] across, turn.  (43 sts)

Rows 3-8:  Ch 1, sc in next 21 (22,23,24,25,26) sts, 3 sc in next st, sc in last 21 (22,23,24,25,26) sts, turn.  (45,47,49,51,53 sts)

Row 9.  Ch 1, sc in first 20 sts, (sc dec over next 2 sts) 3 times, sc in next st, ch 21, sc in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook and in back ridge of next 19 chs, sl st in next st (first tie  made), ch 21, sc in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook and in back ridge of next 19 chs, sc in next st (second tie made), (sc dec over next 2 sts) 3 times, sc in last 20 sts.  Fasten off.

RUFFLE:

Join yellow with sl st in any st at bottom of dress, ch 3 (counts as tr), tr in same st as ch 3, 2 tr in each st around, join to top of beg ch 3.  Fasten off.

FINISHING:

Sew 2 snaps evenly spaced down back opening of dress.  I had to overlap the snap quite a bit at the waist to make a more fitted look.


26 comments:

Véro said...

it may be simple, in any case the result is magnificent
I must try to adapt to a Corolle doll of 33 cm, this is so pretty
thank you for this generous sharing of explanations
friendships
véro

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you Vero, I viewed your doll clothes and they are adorable! I am glad to share and hope you are successful in adapting this pattern :-)

Véro said...

thank you very much this is very nice
I must find time to translate your set and then to realize the size of the doll (33 cm)
friendships

Kristie said...

WOW, I love your blog! It's very cool. I'm a young girl who loves to crochet and play with Barbies, and my mom found this and showed it to me.
If you know of any young girls that would enjoy another girl's blog, here are my links:
http://www.every-day-me.blogspot.com/
http://girlzglowing4god.blogspot.com/

♥ Kristie

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you Kristie,
The only young girl in my life is my daughter who is 16. She also likes Barbies, crocheting, christian music and her favorite t.v. show is "I Love Lucy". She also has a calico cat named Tinkerbell. I will ask her is she would like to check your blogs out.

areiasdejade said...

Lindo vestido, confeccionado com perfeição; Obrigada por disponibilizar a receita.
Até breve
Nely

玉芳 said...

I love it! Thank you for posting!

pinkpowderpuff said...

You are very welcome :-)

MCEA said...

Everyday for the past six weeks I have been visiting your blog waiting for the next pattern to come along Is there a problem? I love your work. It is my therapy for now.

Best wishes.

pinkpowderpuff said...

No, no, there's no problem MCEA. I have just been busy with baby items for numerous births in our family lately. Plus, I might be just a wee bit addicted to facebook games,lol. I am working on something new as we speak, so check back in about 5 days. Thanks for following my blog :-)

MCEA said...

Thanks pinkpowderpuff. I'm elited to hear such news and waiting patiently :)

Kristi said...

So excited to see these. My daughter is just starting to get into Barbie, so this will give her dolls something fun to wear, I might even let her embellish them with sequins etc. Glad to have found your blog! From one crocheter to another, cheers!
Kristi
knottyknotty.blogspot.com

pinkpowderpuff said...

Hi Kristi,
It's always fun to meet another person who shares my passion for crochet. I am sure your daughter will have tons of fun embellishing the clothes you make as that will make the creations her own :-)

Helene said...

I love your blog, thank you for sharing so generously. I think I am going to try this pattern, never crocheted for Barbie before (mainly because nobody has patterns for the new body type) but it sounds like fun.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you Helene, crocheting for Barbie IS fun and instant gratification as Barbie clothes work up so quickly...

Crochet Clymer said...

the Striped Sherbet Sundress looks just like the dress in this latest issue of Interweave Crochet, they just have no ruffle at the bottom.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Wow!! I just looked in my daughter's issue of interweave and you are correct. I do take inspiration from ready made clothes sometimes, but I thought this dress was totally my brain-child!! I guess great minds think alike :-)

Sharon said...

I took a break from crocheting the ruffle on this dress. I made an all-white version and I must say once again, your designs are genius and oh-so-lovely! Thanks for so generously sharing with us!

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you Sharon,

All your lovely comments made my day. I must say that I have a thing for the ruffles and a ruffle seems to make it on almost all my outfits, but they are easy enough to leave off.

Sharon said...

Haha, I meant I took a crochet break during the ruffle part to post my comment. I love the ruffles! Your designs are brilliant!

pinkpowderpuff said...

oh....lol. Too funny!

Olga Brooks said...

How absolutely lovely! thank you so very much for sharing!!

Olga Brooks said...

WoW! thank you so very very much! my little Gabs is going to loooooove these!

pinkpowderpuff said...

Olga,

You are very welcome :-) I am glad you like my patterns.

Hedwig said...

I just love your creations, so adorable! Would it be possible for you to help me out by changing this dress to fit the Monster High dolls? Would appreciate it very much!
Thanks again for a lovely blog!

pinkpowderpuff said...

Hedwig,

I will put that on my list of things to do! But it might take a while!