Saturday, January 7, 2012

"Hearts" Valentine's Day outfit (top)

Ha!  I think I should change my original goal of posting a new outfit every week to posting a new outfit every month...lol.  As the people who follow this blog can see, this is not a black New Year's eve party dress.  It was just not turning out the way I envisioned, so I set it aside for now and decided to do up something that was quick and easy.  So I did this outfit for Valentine's day.  This heart top can be made in like 30 minutes, it is that quick and easy.  The skirt is pretty quick and easy also, except for a bunch of pesky ends.  But I think having the ends was worth it to get the pattern stitch to mimic mini hearts.  The heart pattern for the top is not my original design.  I altered one I saw demonstrated on youtube.



Materials

Size 10 thread in red
One sew on snap
Size 6 (1.8 mm) steel hook

Gauge

10 sc = 1 inch, 10 sc rows = 1 inch

Directions

Note:   If you have any questions you can watch the tutorial of this heart on youtube here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2YzJOuSnJ4  Keep in mind that I altered this pattern a little.  I left out the ch 1 after every dtr to make the top fit better over the bust, added straps, and I did a different edging than the one demonstrated.

DTR = double triple crochet = Yarn over hook three times, then insert hook into next stitch.
Yarn over hook and draw yarn through stitch - five loops on the hook.
Loop yarn over hook and draw through two loops, (there are now four loops remaining on the hook), *yarn over hook and draw through two loops**, repeat * to ** twice more.

Row 1:  With red ch 13, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.  (12 sc)

Rows 2-12:  Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn.  (12 sc)

Row 3:  First rounded part of heart:  Now folding the side of square just made to the left of where you are working in half, find center st and work 10 dtr in center st, sl st to last st on this side (this will be the center top of heart).  Second rounded part of heart:  Now folding the side of square to the left of where you are working and find the center st, work 10 dtr in center st, sl st to last st on this side, turn.

Row 4:  Edging:  Ch 1, sc in next 10 dtr, sl st in next sl st, sc in next 10 dtr, sc in next 11 sts, 3 sc in next st (bottom point of heart), sc in last 12 sts, join to beg sc.  Fasten off.

Straps (work one on each side of heart)

Row 1:   Count up 10 sts from bottom point of heart, attach red with sc in this st, sc in next 5 sts, turn.  (6 sts)

Rows 2-13:  Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn.  (6 sts)  Fasten off at end of last row.

Finishing

Sew snap to back opening.

12 comments:

Sharon said...

Yaaayyy, a new outfit!

Véro said...

Valentine's Day this set is very pretty, beautiful creation
friendships véro

Joan said...

Very pretty! Thank you for sharing.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you everybody. I am glad that people are enjoying the fruits of my labor. It is a joy for me to share with you all :-)

Doris said...

Lovely patterns. Thank you for sharing them. I'm also interested in the fashion doll books and patterns Esty has if they're still available. How can I get them?

pinkpowderpuff said...

Hi Doris,
You can check out the etsy shop by the link I posted. The book and the magazine have both sold already. All that's left of Barbie patterns are the five patterns I got from an online subscription. Thanks.....

Teena said...

cool! well done <3

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thanks Teena :-)

bitosweets said...

Oh, gosh! I just found your site (okay, my daughter actually did the finding and she shared it with me). I love the items you've made for the dolls! This heart one is adorable! Thank you very much for sharing your patterns!

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you bitobits! Hope you still like it after having to weave in all the ends! lol

Rebeckah said...

Hi, this is a really cute pattern! I wanted to do a free round up of crochet valentine's patterns on my blog, and I was wondering if I may use one of the pictures above to link to this pattern?

pinkpowderpuff said...

Rebekah,

Please be my guest to put a link to this pattern on your blog.