Friday, November 4, 2011

"Winter Snow" Barbie dress and cape/wrap

This is my first attempt at designing a dress for Barbie.  I wanted to make it super-simple.  This meant no sewing seams, no working in the round if I could help it, no shaping, and weaving in as few ends as possible.  Pretty tall order, but I think I did it.  My plan is to make a total of three Holiday dresses, each with an accessory.  This first one is for the general winter holiday, the second one will be a red Christmas party dress and the third one will be a black New Year's Eve party dress (although working with black is a real pain so it might end up being silver or some other color).




Please keep the following in mind while crocheting this outfit.  This dress is worked in a flat, almost square piece.  This piece will SEEM to just barely meet behind the bust, be too big in the waist and too small in the hips, BUT the ribbing around the bust will have enough give to overlap for a snap and the pattern stitch (along with the edging and seaming) around the hips will have enough stretch to get the dress over the hips.  This still leaves the waist a little too big since Barbie's waist is ridiculously small compared to her hips! So, there are two options.  1.  You can sew the snap on in such a way that you pull the waist in a bit or  2.  You can gather the waist at the back like I did (I will give a step by step as to how I did that).
 

Materials

Size 10 thread in white
Size 6 (1.8 mm) steel hook
2 sew on snaps
1   9/16th" white button (or any size button you like)

Gauge

10 sc = 1 inch, 10 sc rows = 1 inch

Directions for dress

Note:  The easiest way I found to sc evenly along a piece is to fold it in half and mark with a stitch marker, then fold the half in half again and mark the quarter sections with a stitch marker.  Take the amount of stitches needed and divide by 4.  Then make sure to crochet that amount in between each stitch marker.

V-stitch = (dc, ch 1, dc) in stitch indicated

Bust

Row 1:  With white, ch 8, sc in second ch from hook and each ch across, turn.  (7 sc)

Row 2:  Working in BACK LOOPS only, sc in each st across, turn.  (7 sc)

Rows 3-?:  Repeat row 2 until piece measures 5" long.  DO NOT TURN at end of last row.

Working around edge of piece, ch 1, 44 sc evenly spaced along first long edge, ch 1, 7 sc across first short edge, ch 1, 44 sc evenly spaced along second long edge, leave remaining short edge unworked, turn.

Skirt

Row 1:  Ch 1, [sc in first (next) st, sk next st, v-stitch in next st, sk next st] across, turn.  (11 sc, 11 v-stitches)

Row 2:  Ch 1, [sc in first (next) ch 1 space of v-stitch, v-stitch in next sc] across, turn.  (11 sc, 11 v-stitches)

Rows 3-?:  Repeat row 2 until piece measures 4" total length, DO NOT TURN at end of last row

Working in ends of rows around edge of piece, ch 1, 2 sc in each v-stitch and sc in each sc up to ribbed bust, sc in each sc along ribbed bust, turn, ch 1, sc in each sc back down to bottom of dress working 3 ch in last st, working along bottom of dress, 2 sc in each v-stitch and sc in each sc across, working up other back, 3 sc in first st, 2 sc in each v-stitch and sc in each sc up to ribbed bust, sc in each sc along ribbed bust, turn, ch 1, sl st in first 20 sc (back opening), holding seams together sc rest of back seam tog, turn dress right side out, but DO NOT FASTEN OFF.

Ruffle section

Round 1:  Working in FRONT LOOPS only around bottom of dress, [sl st, ch 2] in each st around, join to first sl st, do not turn.

Round 2:  Working in BACK LOOPS of previous round, sl st in first back loop, ch 4 (counts as first tr), tr in each back loop around, join to top FRONT LOOP of beg ch 4, do not turn.

Round 3:  Ch 2, [sl st, ch 2] in each FRONT LOOP of st around, join to first sl st, do not turn.

Round 4:  Working in BACK LOOPS of previous round, sl st in first back loop, ch 4 (counts as first tr), tr in same st as joining, 2 tr in each st around, join to top of first ch 4.  Fasten off.  (Finally!!!  lol)

Finishing

Sew 2 snaps to back opening, sewing one snap to back of waist so that the waist gets pulled in.  If you don't like the look this creates (like I didn't), sew both snaps even with each other and gather waist in back.

I gathered waist as follows.  Sew snaps where you want them first.  Turn dress inside out and place on doll.   Starting at side of waist, take needle and thread and run thread in and out of rows almost up to back seam.  Gather lightly (not to tight or dress will not get over hips) and tie off.  Repeat for other side of waist.

Directions for Cape/Wrap

Row 1:  Ch 21, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.  (20 sc)

Row 2:  Ch 1, [sc in first (next) st, sk next st, v-stitch in next st, sk next st] across, turn.  (5 sc, 5 v-stitches)

Row 3:  Ch 1, [sc in first (next) ch 1 space of v-stitch, v-stitch in next sc] across, turn.  (5 sc, 5 v-stitches)

Rows 4-?:  Repeat row 3 until piece measures 6" long.

Working around edges, ch 1, 2 sc in each v-stitch and sc in each sc across first short edge, ch 1, 2 sc in each v-stitch and sc in each sc along first long edge, ch 1, sc in each sc along second short edge, ch 1, 2 sc in each v-stitch and sc in each sc along second long edge, ch 1, sc in each sc along first short edge AGAIN (this will make it even because the other short end has two rows of sc) to last st, ch 5 for buttonhole (or ch amount that will slip over your selected button), join to beg sc.  Fasten off.

Sew button opposite of buttonhole.

18 comments:

glorm said...

When I do cross stitch on very dark cloth I put a white cloth on my lap. You may want to do the same when using very dark crochet thread. It really helps.

glorm said...

Forgot the most important thing: that dress is gorgeous. Pink and Barbie just go together so well.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the wonderful patterns. I too love aking clothes for barbie. I am 52 with 4 sons, go figure! I give them awat to friends and relatives little girls. They love receiving them. There are so very few patterns available, thanks so much for thesenew refreshing new ones. I cannot wait to get started making some.

Barbara said...

Really cute pattern, I will have to try this! Thanks for sharing it.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thanks for the helpful tip. I will try to use a white towel next time I work with black :-)

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thanks Barbara and you are welcome! Let me know how it turns out :-)

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you to the lady with 4 sons. I guess no matter how old we get, we are still little girls at heart who love Barbie and making clothes for them :-) I am sure the little girls love receiving the ones you make. I have noticed the lack of patterns for the belly-button doll which is the one little girls are now playing with so I am glad my patterns are helping with that.

Nettiemac said...

These are really beautiful designs and I look forward to making them. They may be my show entries next year.

I do hope you are going to make more patterns at some point as yours are really neat and it is also wonderful to see patterns for Barbie that aren't ballgowns or wedding dresses.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you Nettiemac! I have to agree with you about the ballgowns and wedding dresses. They can take forever to make and I like instant gratification...lol. I like my designs to be more modern and fitted, but still frilly and ruffly and pink! And, I will keep making new ones until I run out of ideas (which won't be for a while, as I have a long list of ideas).

Anonymous said...

Very nice outfit, different from most, which are usually pretty much the same.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you to the anonymous poster. I will continue to try to come up with new and different patterns, although I have been pretty lazy since Christmas and haven't done anything, but I am working on a new outfit right now.

Monica said...

You are very talented and these patterns are beautiful! I am going to make this for my niece. She is turning 4 and having a Barbie-themed birthday party. I'm getting the supplies tonight. :)

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you Monica! Your neice is lucky to have an Aunt to make her pretty clothes for her Barbies! A new dress is coming soon.

BarbieCollector said...

Thank you for the beautiful patterns. Size 10 crochet yarn is perfect for Barbie. I am glad that someone understands that thin yarns need to be used to fit Barbie's tiny body snugly and not overpower her. (Bulky yarns and loose clothing just swallow up her tiny frame) Your patterns are just PERFECT.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you BarbieCollector! I completely agree with you about the bulky yarns and Barbie's tiny body. It may be faster to crochet, but IMHO it is ugly!

Lynn Marie said...

Very pretty outfit....going to make it......thank you for posting the pattern.

Tarina Laxton said...

Very pretty.. I am going to try to make one, this will be the first time using the steel hooks... I was given a tote bag of Barbie dolls that a friends school was going to throw away. I am hoping to fix them back up and find them new homes. I look forward to using your patterns. lol of I can master the small hook. I know that your patterns will be perfect. My goal is to fix them up and give them to children in need.Thanks :O)

Meira Shana said...

Sure wish I had my daughter's Barbie - she was born in 1962 and her first doll was ? thereafter. I made some gorgeous knits for Barbie - and those are gone with the wind, too. Sad to say.

My daughter is someone who gets rid of anything she deems old.

What I need to know is what 'sk' stands for in this instruction:

Skirt
Row 1: Ch 1, [sc in first (next) st, sk next st, v-stitch in next st, sk next st]