Saturday, October 22, 2011

White Shell Purse

Well, I just looked at the date of my last post and was shocked to find that it has been a whole month since I last posted.  Wow!!  I can't believe it has been that long.  So much for my "post every week" goal.  Oh well!  Here is the pattern for the shell purse.  I am not finished with the shorts/beach towel/beach bag that I am doing for this set as I want to get a Halloween dress out before it actually is Halloween.



Sorry for the blurry picture.  A photographer I am not!!

Materials

Size 10 thread in white
One 1/8" pink button or button to fit through buttonhole
Size 6 (1.8 mm) steel hook

Gauge

10 sc = 1 inch, 10 sc rows = 1 inch

Directions

Shell = (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in stitch indicated

Purse body

Row 1:  With white, ch 13, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn.  (12 sc)

Row 2:  Ch 1, sc in first st, sk next st, shell in next st, sk next st, [sc in next st, sk next st, shell in next st, sk next st] across, turn.   (3 sc, 3 shells)

Row 3:  Ch 1, sc in first ch 2 sp, shell in next sc, [sc in next ch 2 sp, shell in next sc] across, turn.  (3 sc, 3 shells)

Rows 4-?:  Repeat row 3 until piece measure approximately 2 1/2 inches long.

Last row of purse body:  Ch 1, 2 sc in first ch 2 sp, 2 sc in next sc, [2 sc in next ch 2 sp, 2 sc in next sc] across, turn.  (12 sc)

Flap

Row 1:  Ch 1, [sc in first (next) st, sk next st, shell in next st, sk next st] across, turn. (3 sc, 3 shells)

Row 2:  Sl st in first ch 2 sp, shell in next sc, sc in next ch 2 sp, shell in next sc, sl st in next ch 2 sp, skip last sc, turn.

Row 3:  Ch 1, sl st in first ch 2 sp, shell in next sc (ch 2 sp will be buttonhole), sl st in next ch 2 sp, sk last st.  Fasten off.

Edging

Starting at corner where flap meets purse body, join white with sl st, ch 1, sc in same st as joining, work 3 sc up to ch 2 buttonhole space, work 3 sc in ch 2 buttonhole sp, work 4 sc down other side of flap, work 20 sc evenly spaced down side of purse in ends of rows, work 12 sc across row 1, work 20 sc evenly spaced down other side of purse in ends of rows, join to first sc.  Fasten off.

Sew side seams of purse together folding flap over.

Handle

With white, ch 50, sc in back ridge of 2nd ch from hook and in back ridge of each ch across.  Fasten off.  Tack each handle end to purse securely. 

Finishing

Sew button to opposite side of button hole.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Love your patterns! I'm making the purse and have hit a roadblock on row 1 of the flap. After completing the last row of purse body, how do I crochet as written, which is to repeat row 3? The previous row does not allow for it. Please help.

pinkpowderpuff said...

You are absolutely correct. Sometimes I do not know what I was thinking when I was writting down my patterns, as the mistakes I make are pretty silly ones. I think I have corrected it now, though. I hope it helps. Thanks for the feedback!