Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pink Ruffled Short Skirt


This skirt is pretty quick and easy to do.  In order to avoid excessive fastening off and weaving in of ends, I worked this piece flat and sewed the back seam instead of working in rounds. 


Materials

Size 10 pink cotton thread

Size 6 (1.8 mm) steel hook

one sew on snap

Gauge

10 sc=1 inch, 10 sc rows=1 inch.

Directions for Pink Ruffle Short Skirt


NOTE:  Ch 4 counts as first tr throughout pattern.

Row 1:  Beg at hips, with pink, ch 41, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch across, turn. (40 sc)

Row 2:  Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn. (40 sc)

Row 3:  Ch 1, sc in first 2 sts, 2 sc in next st, [sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st]across to last st, sc in last st, turn. (53 sc)

Rows 4-7:  Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn. (53 sc)

Row 8:  Working this row in FRONT LOOPS ONLY, ch 4, 4 tr in first st, [sk next 2 sts, 5 tr in next st]across to last st, sk last st.  DO NOT TURN.  (18 tr clusters made)

Row 9:  Working in side of last tr made, work 3 sl sts, sl st in end of row 8, TURN NOW, working behind ruffle in BACK LOOPS of row 8, ch 4, tr in each st across, turn. (53 tr)

Row 10:  Working in FRONT LOOPS ONLY, ch 4, 4 tr in first st, [sk next 2 sts, 5 tr in next st]across.  DO NOT TURN.  (18 tr clusters made)

Rows 11-14:  Repeat rows 9 and 10 two more times or until desired length is achieved.  Fasten off leaving a long end to sew up back seam.

Finishing

Sew back seam leaving an opening big enough to skip skirt on doll.  I sewed only the ends of ruffles together and that seemed to work well enough.  Sew snap to back opening.

Here are some more explanatory pictures



Rows 1-7 should look like this on doll.  It should measure about 5 1/2" by 3/4".


Row 8 should be worked in front loops like this.  This is the first ruffle row.



Row 9 is worked behind row 8 in free loops of row 8.  First you will 3 sl sts in end of last st made and sl st in end of row 8 like so.




Now you will turn piece over and work behind ruffle in free loops of row 8.  Work tr in each  free loop st like this.  This is still row 9.




Now row 10 is worked in front loops of tr row like so.




Hope this helps :-)

21 comments:

glorm said...

Saw your link at Ravelry. This is a great outfit.

I have a question and will send an e-mail to you about it.

Anne said...

Very nice pattern.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Thank you Anne!

winslowwoman said...

I love the way it looks but I just can not get this pattern to work for me and I do not know what I am doing wrong and I am experienced at crocheting, been doing it for 50 plus years..it just seems to be too big and I can not seem to understand how to do the layers..must be having a mental block..it sure is cute!

pinkpowderpuff said...

sorry you are having problems :-( i will post some picture showing what i intended, but the basic idea is to work a ruffle row in the front loops and then at the end of the row work up the side of the last st worked to the row before and then work a tr row in the back loops of the ruffle row just made.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Also to winslowwoman, make sure that the Barbie you are making the skirt for is the new body with the belly-button. This skirt will be too big for one of the old Barbie body types with the teeny-tiny waist.

Kim Wlasichuk said...

What are the instructions to make the skirt into the dress as shown?

pinkpowderpuff said...

Hi Kim,

The picture you see is not actually a dress. I like my skirt/blouse sets to LOOK like a dress (so I guess I succeeded). What you are seeing is the short ruffle skirt paired with the pink ruffled top.

WhySayWhat said...

I spent many evenings working this one up in dark red to use as a gift for next year (kiddos are getting "elf In training" as I'm too cheap to buy the creepy elf)...after finishing and then trying it on my doll "model", it was HUGE. So, I ripped the whole thing out after looking at sizing on the doll. I removed 5 clusters from the ruffle rows (15 stitches in the rows behind the ruffles--38 stitches) and reduced the starting row to 26 sc. I'm on row 11 now, but in quick sizing fittings, it is fitting much better!

Anonymous said...

im also finding this pattern to be working up too big. i have the newer style barbie with the belly button as was suggested but still need to decrease by at least 5 ruffles for a nice fit.

pinkpowderpuff said...

To whysaywhat and anonymous,

I do not know why your skirts would be working up so much larger than mine. The only thing I can think of besides that we have different gauges is that this skirt is supposed to start at the hip line and not the waist line. If I were to try to fit this skirt at the waist on my doll it would be way too big.

miukitty100 said...

It could be because you wrote that no.6 steel hook is 1.8 mm, while actually, no.6 steel hook is 1.6 mm.If someone is using metric sizes, the skirt would turn out too big.

pinkpowderpuff said...

Miukitty100,

I double checked three different websites just in case you are correct, but all the websites I checked gave the conversion for a number 6 steel hook as 1.8mm.

Anonymous said...

Love all your patterns....and Thank you for posting for free...trying to make a wardrobe for my Granddaughters new Barbie.Looking for the pattern for the pink ruffled top that goes with the pink ruffled skirt. Also could use some nice patterns for Ken. They all seem to be only swim shorts or formal wear...He needs some nice casual wear....

Ally said...

I can't wait to make this!! Thank you so much for posting!

Ally said...

I can't wait to make this! Thanks so much for posting!

Unknown said...

Could you email me please I have a personal question that I would like to ask you? hannahs3092000@yahoo.com

I love all your patterns they are wonderful, and my granddaughters will love the dresses too once I get them made as I just found your site tonight.

acloththeworld said...

These are very cute patterns! I came here looking for crochet patterns I could adapt for my Lammily doll, but given that so many people are saying this pattern is a bit bigger, I'm hoping it will work as is for her. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Is there a pattern for the top as well... I thought from the picture that it was a dress x

natalie vilcu said...

HI, DO YOU HAVE A VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR THIS?

Unknown said...

anlatım için teşekkürler